Cassata Alla Siciliana
|9 inch sponge cake||1 (fresh, 3 inches wide and 3 inches deep)|
|Ricotta cheese||1 Pound|
|Double cream||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Castor sugar||2 Ounce|
|Strega/Orange flavored liqueur||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon, sharpened with grated lemon rind|
|Mixed candied fruit||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon, coarsely chopped|
|Dessert chocolate||2 Ounce, coarsely chopped|
1. With a sharp, serrated knife, slice the end crusts off the sponge cake and level its top.
2. Cut the cake horizontally into 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick slabs.
3. In a bowl, rub the ricotta using a food mill, or use a coarse sieve and a wooden spoon.Beat smoothly.
4. Insert cream, sugar and Strega to it, beating constantly.
5. With a rubber spatula, fold in the candied fruit and chocolate.
6. In centre of a flat plate, put the bottom slab of the cake.
7. Spread ricotta mixture generously over it.
8. Carefully place another slab on top, keeping sides and ends even.
9. Spread with more ricotta.
10. Repeat until all cake slabs are reassembled and the filling has been used up.
11. Place a plain slice of cake on top.
12. Gently press the loaf together to make it compact.
13. Place loaf in refrigerator for abourt 2 hours or until the ricotta is firm.
14. Serve Cassata Alla Siciliana chilled.