|Plain flour||4 Ounce, sifted|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Pint|
|Vegetable oil||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Calf sweetbreads||2 (1 pair)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Lemon juice/Vinegar||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (scant)|
|Whole chicken breast||1 , boned|
|Artichoke hearts||14 Ounce, drained (1 can)|
|Vegetable oil/Cooking fat||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for deep frying)|
1. Preheat the oven to Mark 1/4 250 °F.
2. In a large bowl, combine together flour, warm water, 2 1/2- tablespoons of oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
3. Stir the mixture gently but constantly, so that the ingredients mix well and form a fairly smooth cream.
4. Do not beat or overstir.
5. Leave the batter aside for about 2 hours, under room temperature.
6. Beat 1 egg white until it is stiff enough to form unwavering peaks.
7. Soak the pair of sweetbreads in several changes of cold water for 1 hour.
8. In a medium sized saucepan place sweetbread pieces.
9. In the saucepan, add 1 1/2 pints of fresh cold water, 2 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar and a scant teaspoon of salt.
10. Place the pan on moderate heat and bring to the boil.
11. Reduce the heat and allow the sweetbreads to simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes, according to size.
12. Remove them from the heat.
13. Drain and plunge immediately into cold water for a few minutes to cool. Drain again.
14. In kitchen paper allow pat sweetbreads dry.
15. Gently remove as much of the outside filament of the sweetbreads as possible without tearing them.
16. Separate the two lobes from the tube between them and discard the tube.
17. Cut the sweetbreads into 1-inch cubes.
18. Skin the chicken breast. With a knife cut the meat into strips about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
19. Divide the cauliflower into small flowerets.
20. In a saucepan, take about 3 to 5 pints of boiling salted water. Place the flowerets in water. Let them boil briskly for 3 minutes.
21. Take flowerets out and plunge them into cold water and drain.
22. With a sharp knife, peel the aubergines and courgettes. Cut them into 1/2 inch strips.
23. In a colander, toss pieces of aubergines and courgettes with 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt to draw out their moisture and put them aside to drain.
24. Dry and quarter the artichoke hearts.
25. In a deep-fat frying pan, heat 3 to 4 inches of oil or cooking fat to 375°F.
26. Line 2 large shallow baking dishes or baking sheets with kitchen paper.
27. With kitchen paper, dry the aubergines and courgette strips.
28. Place them with the sweetbread cubes, strips of chicken breast, cauliflower flowerets and quartered artichoke hearts where you can get at them easily.
29. Deep-fry the sweetbreads, chicken and vegetables separately: Drop 5 or 6 pieces at a time into the batter-€”into which you have just folded the beaten egg white.
30. Lift pieces one by one with a perforated spoon, when they are well coated.
31. Hold pieces over the bowl for a second to let the excess batter drain off.
32. In frying basket place the pieces.
33. Deep-fry, turning the pieces once or twice, for about 5 to 6 minutes, until the batter is golden brown.
34. In a paper-line baking dish, transfer the browned pieces. Allow it to drain and place in the oven to keep warm.
35. Dip the next batch into the batter and deep-fry it.
36. On a napkin-lined dish, arrange fritto neatly.
37. Serve Fritto Misto immediately, garnished with lemon quarters.
Calories 634 Calories from Fat 233
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.4%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 483.5 mg161.2%
Sodium 1302.9 mg54.3%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.4%
Dietary Fiber 15.1 g60.3%
Sugars 9.2 g
Protein 53 g105.7%
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 178.9%
Calcium 11.6% Iron 16.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet