Turkey or Veal Italian
|Turkey scallops/Veal / turkey scallops / cutlets||2 Pound|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Dry madeira||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Beef stock/Turkey stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Fresh spinach/Frozen spinach - 3 packages of 10 ounces each||1 1⁄2 Pound (For Garnish)|
|Butter||8 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
|Tomatoes||3 , peeled and cut into quarters and then eights (For Garnish)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), chopped (For Garnish)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Garnish)|
|Gruyere cheese slices/Swiss cheese slices||6 Large (For Garnish)|
1) Pound the scallops till they are thin and pat them dry.
2) Heat just enough butter and oil in a skillet to cover the bottom of pan, till the contents are sizzling.
3) Add the scallops and saute for about 2 minutes on each side.
4) Take the scallops out of the pan and set aside.
5) To the pan, add the onion and cook till soft. Then add the flour and cook till smooth.
6) Mix together the tomato paste, Madeira, bay leaf, salt and pepper and add mixture to the pan.
7) Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring till smooth and then add the scallops. Cover the pan and gently simmer for about 5 to 7 minutes, till soft.
8) To prepare the garnish, in a large pan of boiling water, put the fresh spinach that has been cleaned, stemmed and torn into pieces, for about 3 minutes. Drain well.
9) Run the spinach under cold water and drain again. Chop it.
10) In case frozen spinach is being used, defrost it. Packaged spinach does not have to be cooked. Drain well, pressing between 2 plates in order to remove all the water. Squeeze well to ensure that the spinach is completely dry.
11) Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet and add the garlic and tomatoes. Quickly coat the tomatoes in the garlic butter without cooking.
12) Set the tomatoes aside.
13) In a clean pan, melt the remaining butter and heat till the butter has turned hazelnut brown. Watch it closely.
14) Remove the pan quickly from the heat and add the spinach.
15) Stir cream to taste into the pan and season with salt and pepper. (The garnish can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge).
16) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
17) On a long ovenproof platter, arrange the meat and top with the dressing.
18) From all the sauce, remove the scallops and drain well.
19) Set the sauce aside.
20) On top of the spinach, arrange the scallops.
21) Cut the cheese slices. These are to be used to cover the meat. (Till this point, the preparation can be done in advance and frozen, without the tomatoes, till it is time to use. Before use, simply bring to room temperature).
22) Around the rim of the dish, place the tomatoes.
23) Brown the meat in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, till the cheese has melted and the dish is thoroughly heated. Alternatively, the meat can also be cooked under a broiler.
24) Reheat the sauce and discard the bay leaf.
25) Serve the meat while it is still piping hot, with the sauce as an accompaniment in a separate bowl. Some sauce can also be poured around the meat. Makes a good main course dish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3991 Calories from Fat 2487
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 283 g435.3%
Saturated Fat 156.6 g782.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1216.2 mg405.4%
Sodium 4224 mg176%
Total Carbohydrates 78 g25.9%
Dietary Fiber 23.1 g92.3%
Sugars 22.7 g
Protein 288 g575.6%
Vitamin A 1498.1% Vitamin C 421.3%
Calcium 262.3% Iron 127.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet