Brimming with veggies fresh from the Farmers' Market, Jo Ann's favorite skillet pie is easy-to-make, filled with cheese, and perfect for breakfast, brunch or dinner! Jo Ann also shares a handy tip for preparing Swiss chard, the very tasty leafy green veggie in this recipe.
4 Medium, chopped (thick sliced.)
1 Medium, chopped
1 Medium, sliced
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped
Swiss chard leaves
1 Bunch (100 gm), thinly sliced
3 Medium, beaten
Half and half
1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)
Salt and pepper
1 Pinch (or herb of your choice)
Shredded cheddar cheese
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1. Preheat the oven to 370 F.
2. Using knife, remove the centre rib of swiss chard, roll them and slice.
3. In a bowl, mix together eggs, half and half, salt and pepper, and thyme and beat well.
4. In a non-stick pan, cook the bacon until crisp for about 5 minutes.
5. Using a slotted spoon remove the bacon and drain over kitchen paper and allow to drain.
6. Transfer the bacon dripping in another bowl, reserving about ½ tablespoon of fat in pan.
7. Add in onion and red peppers and saute for 5 minutes until soft.
8. Put in the corn, green beans and stir for about 3 minutes or until the beans are soft.
9. In a pan, heat about 1 tablespoon of bacon fat and saute the chard for about 3 minutes.
10. In a bowl, place all the sautéed vegetable, egg mixture, cheese and bacon and mix well to combine.
11. In a 10” skillet, pour vegetable egg mixture and spread well and bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
12. Remove from the oven and allow to set for 10 minute.
13. Cut and serve hot garnished with chopped chives or with sour cream on side, if desired.