Zuppa Di Pesce
|Fish heads, tails, bones, skin, and trimmings||2 Pound|
|Water||1 1⁄4 Pint|
|Dry white wine||3⁄8 Pint|
|Sliced onions||3 Ounce|
|Leafy celery tops||2|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Fish fillets/Fish steaks||6 Pound (3 Kinds, 2 Pound Each, Such As Haddock, Flounder, Cod, Perch, Pollock, Redfish, Mackerel, Bass Or Rockfish)|
|Powdered saffron/Crumbled saffron threads||1 1⁄2 Pinch|
|Tomato pulp||1⁄2 Pound, coarsely chopped (Use Fresh, About 1 Pound Tomatoes, Peeled, Seeded And Gently Squeezed)|
|Finely chopped fresh parsley||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped garlic||1 Teaspoon (1 Scant Measure)|
|Crumbled dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Use 1 Scant Measure)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon (Use 1 Scant Measure)|
|Freshly grated lemon peel||1 Tablespoon|
1. In a large enamelled or stainless steel saucepan, put the fish heads, bones and trimmings with the water and wine.
2. Bring it to a boil over high heat, skimming all the foam from the top.
3. Add onions, celery tops, parsley sprigs, bay leaf and thyme and bring to one more boil.
4. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
5. With a fine sieve, strain the stock into a bowl or saucepan.
6. Press hard with a spoon on the fish trimmings and vegetables to extract their juices before throwing them away.
7. In a large, heavy bottomed flameproof serving casserole heat olive oil until a light haze forms over it.
8. Put in the fish fillet and brown over a moderately high heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
9. Tilt the casserole and with a bulb baster, remove all the oil leaving 2 to 3 tablespoons.
10. Mix the saffron with the strained fish stock and add it to the casserole along with the tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
11. On slow heat, bring it to a simmer, stirring gently, cover and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until the fish is just firm and flakes easily when pierced with a fork.
12. Make sure not to overcook the soup or the fish will break down and disintegrate.
13. Taste for more salt and pepper, if needed and sprinkle the top with the rest of the chopped parsley and the grated lemon peel.
14. Serve the soup directly from the casserole with some bread.
Calories 1136 Calories from Fat 405
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.3%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 567.9 mg189.3%
Sodium 1490.2 mg62.1%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g3.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.5%
Sugars 3.2 g
Protein 167 g334.1%
Vitamin A 26% Vitamin C 36.9%
Calcium 45.2% Iron 21.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet