Brown Rice Pasta with Asparagus Shiitakes Pesto and Cheese
|For the pasta|
|Brown rice pasta||10 Ounce (1 packet)|
|Salt||1 Centigram (Boiled in salt water)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs) (or more)|
|For the sauce|
|Asparagus||1 Bunch (100 gm), cut into 1/2 inch pieces|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Shiitake mushroom||3 Large, sliced|
|White wine vinegar/White wine||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|For the pesto|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled|
|Pumpkin seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Parsley leaves||1⁄2 Bunch (50 gm), chopped|
|Cilantro leaves||1⁄2 Bunch (50 gm), chopped|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|For the garnish|
|Hard goat cheese||1 Tablespoon, crumbled (raw)|
For The Pasta
1. In a pot pour water and season with salt. Bring it to boil and add pasta. Cook for 5 minutes or till al dente (check occasionally to avoid pasta turning mushy). Drain and set it aside.
For The Asparagus
2. In a steamer put the asparagus and cook for around 3 or 4 minutes or until it is tender and bright green. Remove from heat and put in ice bath. Set aside.
For The Pesto
3. In a mortar add garlic and salt. Crush it with the pestle. Put in pumpkin seeds and crush until small bits if the pumpkin seeds are formed.
4. Put in the parsley and cilantro and resume crushing. Add the lemon juice and slowly pour the olive oil while crushing till all comes together. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
5. In a skillet or large pan, heat olive oil and butter mixture. Add the mushrooms and sauté for a few minutes.
6. Pour the white wine vinegar to deglaze the pan and continue to cook till the mushrooms are cooked.
7. Add the asparagus and cooked pasta. Put the pesto and toss well to mix or till all are coated. Taste and adjust the seasonings if required.
8. Sprinkle crumbled goat cheese, mix and turn off the heat.
9. In a serving plate, serve the pasta hot as it is.
If goat cheese is not available replace it with parmesan or pecorino cheese.