Italian Stuffed Cabbage With Spicy Tomato Sauce
|Savoy cabbage/Green cabbage||1|
|Ground beef||1⁄2 Pound|
|Bulk sausage||1⁄2 Pound (Use Hot Or Mild)|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Catsup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dried whole oregano||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Soft breadcrumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Beef broth||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|To make the spicy tomato sauce|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Canned whole tomatoes||14 1⁄2 Ounce, undrained and chopped (1 Can)|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Dried italian seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven at 400°.
2. Remove 10 large outer leaves of cabbage reserving the remaining cabbage for other uses.
3. Steam 2 to 3 minutes and set aside.
4. In a bowl mix well combining the next 11 ingredients and set aside.
5. Pare down the outside of thick ribs of cabbage leaves until thin.
6. Lightly grease a 2-quart ovenproof bowl and arrange 4 or 5 cabbage leaves placing leaf tips toward center with rib ends extending beyond edge of bowl such that the leaves overlap.
7. Spoon one-third of meat mixture into bowl spreading evenly over cabbage.
8. Cover with 2 to 3 cabbage leaves and press gently and repeat.
9. Spread with remaining meat mixture and fold over cabbage ends.
10. Top with the remaining cabbage leaves and press down.
11. Bring broth to a boil and slowly pour over cabbage mixture, easing a knife between leaves and inside of bowl so liquid will flow down.
12. Cover and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
13. Reduce heat to 350° and bake an additional hour.
14. Tilt bowl carefully, and drain off liquid, let it stand 5 minutes and drain again.
To make the Spicy Tomato Sauce:
15. In a heavy skillet saute garlic in hot oil until tender.
16. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
17. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 25 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.
18. Invert onto a serving plate and cut into wedges.
19. Serve with Spicy Tomato Sauce.