|Shelled fresh peas||12 Ounce|
|Shelled broad beans||12 Ounce|
|Artichokes||4 Small (Fresh / Canned)|
|Lemon juice||4 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Water/White stock||4 Tablespoon|
|Grated nutmeg||1 Pinch|
|Fresh mint leaves||6|
1) Clean the fresh artichokes. Slice them into 8 pieces. Add into a saucepan of boiling water mixed with lemon juice. Allow to cook for 5 minutes.
2) In a saucepan, heat oil. Add in chopped onion. Cook till it becomes soft and transparent. Do not let them brown.
3) Drain the artichokes before adding them into the pan. Add in water and stock and cook for a while.
4) Next, add in the beans, peas, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cover the pan. Cook on low for about 30 minutes.
5) Chop a few of the mint leaves and leave the rest whole. Add into the simmering mixture. Cook for another 5 minutes. Allow to cool down.
6) To serve the dish cold, add in sugar and vinegar along with the mint leaves. Stir well.
7) Transfer the Sicilian Beans into a serving dish and allow to chill for about 15 minutes.