|Dried kidney beans/Haricot beans||4 Ounce (125 Grams)|
|Salt pork||4 Ounce, diced (125 Grams)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), chopped / ground|
|Onion||1 Small, sliced|
|Water/Cold stock||5 Cup (80 tbs) (Add A Couple Of Soup Cubes If Water Is Used)|
|Carrots||2 , sliced|
|Celery stalks||2 , finely sliced|
|Cabbage head||1⁄4 Small, finely sliced|
|Tomatoes||3 , chopped|
|Frozen peas||4 Ounce (125 Grams)|
|Macaroni||3 Ounce (90 Grams)|
|Rice||1 Ounce (30 Grams)|
|Parsley||2 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Cheese||2 Tablespoon, freshly grated|
1) Soak the kidney or haricot beans in cold water overnight.
2) Drain, cover with fresh water, bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours.
3) In a heavy based saucepan, saute salt pork until brown.
4) Stir in the garlic and onion and saute for a few minutes.
5) Stir in the stock, carrot and celery, then bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes.
6) Stir in the cabbage and tomato, simmer over a very low heat for another 1 1/2 hours.
7) Before serving, stir in the peas, macaroni and rice and cook for about 20 minutes, until tender.
8) Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
9) Lastly, stir in the finely chopped parsley.
10) Sprinkled the Minestrone Soup with the grated cheese and serve hot.
If the soup is too thick, stir in a little water, vegetable stock or beef stock.