Big Soup with Pesto Grills
|Rindless back bacon rashers||4 Ounce|
|Olive oil||8 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable stock||1⁄2 Pint|
|Tomatoes||14 Ounce, chopped|
|Pasta shells||2 Ounce|
|Unsalted cashew nuts||1 Ounce|
|Parmesan cheese||2 Ounce, grated|
|Fresh basil leaves||1 Bunch (100 gm), torn|
|Garlic clove||1 Small|
|French baguette||1 Small|
|Savoy cabbage leaves||3|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Finely chop the onion. Cut the bacon into strips.
2. In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil add the onion and bacon and cook for 5 minutes until golden. Remove from heat.
3. Peel and cut the carrot into batons, slice the celery on the diagonal and add to the pan, stirring to coat and cook for 1 minute
4. Add stock, tomatoes and pasta. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the pasta is just tender.
5. Remove the thick stalks from the cabbage leaves and place the leaves on top of each other. Roll up like a cigar and shred into thin ribbons. Stir into the pasta pan and continue to cook. Cut the courgette into fingers, add to the pan and continue to cook.
6. In a small frying pan, toast and dry-fry cashew nuts until golden and crisp.
7. In a blender, add cheese, basil, the remaining oil, garlic, nuts, salt and pepper whiz to form a puree. Spoon the pesto sauce into a bowl.
8. On a baking tray, cut baguette into slices, arrange and grill on both sides until lightly toasted.
9. Spread some of the pesto on one side of the toasts and grill for a further minute.
10. When the pasta is cooked, season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir some of the pesto into the soup to taste and ladle into bowls.
11. Sprinkle shavings of the remaining Parmesan cheese over the soup and serve with the pesto grills.
Calories 1174 Calories from Fat 751
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 85 g130.2%
Saturated Fat 18 g89.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 19.3 mg6.4%
Sodium 1190.1 mg49.6%
Total Carbohydrates 73 g24.2%
Dietary Fiber 8.9 g35.6%
Sugars 13.5 g
Protein 35 g70.2%
Vitamin A 179.5% Vitamin C 98.2%
Calcium 49.7% Iron 26.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet