Garofaloto Italian Pot Roast
Olive Oil- 3 to 4 tablespoons
Cloves- 12 whole
Black Pepper- 1/4 teaspoon, freshly ground
Garlic- 3 cloves, chopped
Chianti Wine- 1 cup
Tomato Paste- 1/2 cup
Salt- 1 1/2 teaspoons
Sugar- 1 tablespoon
1) In a large non-stick pan heat the oil and brown beef.
2) Put the beef in slow cooker.
3) Press the whole cloves in the top of the beef and dredge with pepper.
4) Dig holes in the beef and spoon olive oil in the holes.
5) In a bowl, mix together garlic, wine, tomato paste, salt and sugar, and spoon around beef.
6) Put the lid on and simmer for 8 to10 hours.
7) Take the meat out of gravy meat and keep it warm.
8) Using a ladle skim the fat from the surface.
9) Spoon 1/4 cup of gravy from cooker into a saucepan.
10) Stir the flour-water paste, in the gravy.
11) Simmer the gravy, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and reduced to half.
12) Slice meat and spoon gravy on the top and serve hot.