|Corn oil||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Bacon (streaky) rashers||3 , rinds removed, chopped|
|Lean minced beef||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled and chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled, crushed|
|Stalk celery||1 , chopped|
|Dried oregano||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Milliliter (1/2 Teaspoon)|
|Tomato puree||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Beef stock||8 Fluid Ounce (250 Milliliter)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a pan, heat the oil, put in the bacon and fry until golden brown.
2. Put in the beef, onion, garlic and celery and sautÃ© for 10 minutes until browned.
3. Stir oregano, sugar, tomato puree and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
4. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, then check seasoning.
5. TO STORE BY FREEZING: Pour into a rigid container. Seal the container, label it and freeze.
6. TO USE A FROZEN SAUCE: In a saucepan, reheat gently from frozen on top of the stove, stirring occasionally. Use as needed.