|Corn oil||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Bacon (streaky) rashers||3 , rinds removed, chopped|
|Lean minced beef||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled and chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled, crushed|
|Stalk celery||1 , chopped|
|Dried oregano||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Milliliter (1/2 Teaspoon)|
|Tomato puree||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Beef stock||8 Fluid Ounce (250 Milliliter)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a pan, heat the oil, put in the bacon and fry until golden brown.
2. Put in the beef, onion, garlic and celery and sautÃ© for 10 minutes until browned.
3. Stir oregano, sugar, tomato puree and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
4. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, then check seasoning.
5. TO STORE BY FREEZING: Pour into a rigid container. Seal the container, label it and freeze.
6. TO USE A FROZEN SAUCE: In a saucepan, reheat gently from frozen on top of the stove, stirring occasionally. Use as needed.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1634 Calories from Fat 988
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 110 g169.8%
Saturated Fat 37.6 g188.1%
Trans Fat 3.5 g
Cholesterol 323.9 mg108%
Sodium 1815.6 mg75.6%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g14.1%
Dietary Fiber 8.9 g35.7%
Sugars 19.3 g
Protein 124 g247.6%
Vitamin A 22.9% Vitamin C 55.8%
Calcium 25.1% Iron 82.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet