|Chicken quarters||4 (skinned)|
|Onion||1 Large (peeled and chopped)|
|Green pepper||1 Medium (cored, seeded and chopped)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm) (peeled and crushed)|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce|
|Chicken stock||1⁄4 Pint|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F or Gas Mark 4.
2) In a pan, saute the chicken in 1/4 cup butter for 15 minutes, turning once.
3) In a casserole dish, transfer the chicken and keep aside.
4) In the same pan, saute the onion, pepper and garlic in rest of the butter over a low heat for 5 minutes.
5) Stir in the tomatoes, chicken stock, sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
6) Mix thoroughly, bring to a boil and pour over the chicken.
7) Cover and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until the chicken is tender.
8) If you wish to freeze the recipe do it at this stage. Transfer the cooled chicken and sauce to a freezer friendly container, cover and wrap in a freezer bag or foil; then seal, label and freeze.
9) Serve the Chicken Cacciatore hot.
10) If using the frozen dish, unwrap and thaw at room temperature for 4 hours. Then reheat in the preheated oven at 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4 for 1 hour, or until thoroughly heated. Serve hot or as indicated in step 9.