Italian Wine Cake
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cold water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Burgundy wine||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Chopped walnuts/Chopped pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped mixed candied fruit||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350F
2. Prepare two 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-by-2 3/4-inch pans by lightly greasing them. Set it aside till required.
3. Make the frosting by combining the confectioners sugar and milk and mix well.
4. In a small saucepan, tip in the raisins and cover them with cold water. Bring this mixture to boil and then remove from heat and drain well. Set aside to cool.
5. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, place the butter, shortening and the granulated sugar and mix well. Beat this on medium speed till the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
6. Add the eggs one at a time to the bowl while beating constantly to get a uniform mix.
7. Add the flour mixture alternating with wine. Ensure that the beater is running constantly at low speed and start and end with the flour mixture.
8. Pour the prepared batter into the pans and then stir in the raisins and the nuts. Bake this for 30-50 minutes till the cake is firm and then remove the cakes to a wire rack to cool.
9. Decorate the cakes with frosting and spread the candied fruits on top of the cake
10. Serve immediately