|Dry navy beans||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), rinsed and soaked overnight in water|
|Water||9 Cup (144 tbs)|
|Carrots||2 Medium, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Celery stalks||2 , chopped to make 1 cup|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Canned tomatoes||32 Ounce, cut up (2 Cans, 16 Ounce Each)|
|Cabbage||2 Cup (32 tbs), finely shredded|
|Zucchini||2 Medium, sliced to make 2 cups|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Ground sage||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fine noodles/Whole wheat noodles - 1/2 cups||3 Ounce (1 1/2 Cups)|
1. In a saucepan, combine beans and the water; bring the mixture to boil.
2. Reduce heat; simmer for about 2 minutes; remove from heat; cover and let it stand for 1 hour but do not drain.
3. Add carrots; Cover and simmer for about 3 hours.
4. In a saucepan, cook bacon till crisp, drain and crumble; reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan and set aside.
5. Cook onion, celery, and garlic in reserved drippings till vegetables are almost tender; drain.
6. Add to beans along with un-drained tomatoes, cabbage, zucchini, salt, basil, sage, and pepper; bring the mixture to boil.
7. Stir in the noodles; reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes more or till noodles are tender.
8. Stir in crumbled bacon before serving.
9. Arrange the soup into individual serving bowl and top each serving with grated cheese.