The Italian Touch
|Oat cereal||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Natural Ready To Eat)|
|Cherry filling||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Almond extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Melted butter||6 Tablespoon|
|White bread loaf||1 (Unsliced)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
|Ground chuck||1 Pound|
|Green pepper||1 Medium|
|Stewed tomatoes||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Dried basil leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla ice cream||1 1⁄2 Pint|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Young spinach||1⁄2 Pound, washed and crisped (Fresh Ones)|
|Romaine head||1⁄4 , washed and crisped|
|Italian style salad dressing||1 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 400F.
2) Add 1 cup oat cereal into a 1-quart shallow baking dish. Add in a mixture of cherry pie filling, almond extract and cinnamon. Sprinkle 1 cup of oats around the sides of the baking dish. Spoon 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the cereal.
3) Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
4) Slice off a 3/4-inch thick slice from the top of the bread loaf. Scoop out the inside of bread loaf. Make a trough 2X1/2X6 inches deep. In a shallow baking pan, place the loaf on foil. Brush the top, sides and insides of the bread with 4 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese over the butter to coat the sides evenly. Bake for 10 minutes.
5) Heat a large skillet. Add in the ground chuck and pat it down into a square, dividing it into 16 pieces. Shape the pieces into 16 balls. Add a little butter into the skillet and brown the balls for 5 minutes.
6) Slice the green pepper. Peel and slice the onion. Add both pepper and onions into the meatballs. Saute for 5 minutes.
7) Keep aside 1/4 cup of tomato liquid from the can. Add in tomatoes, remaining liquid, basil and thyme into the meatballs. Simmer covered for 5 minutes.
8) Let the Cherry Crisp cool down slightly. Soften the ice cream a little by placing in the refrigerator.
9) In a measuring cup, add 1/4 cup reserved tomato liquid and 2 tablespoons of flour. Mix to get a smooth paste. Add the mixture into the meatballs. Cover the skillet and cook for 5 minutes till the mixture thickens.
10) Break the stems off the spinach. Toss the spinach and romaine leaves into the serving bowl. Pour in 1/4 cup or more of the Prepared Italian-Style Dressing. Toss to coat well.
11) Place the baked bread loaf in the centre of the serving plate. Spoon the meatball mixture in and around the bread. Serve hot. Place the spinach salad alongside.
12) Follow this up with the Cherry Crisp and Ice Cream.
Calories 1329 Calories from Fat 586
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 64 g99%
Saturated Fat 34.3 g171.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 211.8 mg70.6%
Sodium 1104.5 mg46%
Total Carbohydrates 144 g47.9%
Dietary Fiber 12.9 g51.6%
Sugars 58.4 g
Protein 40 g79.4%
Vitamin A 88.6% Vitamin C 65.2%
Calcium 41.3% Iron 24.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet