1) Cut the beans and remove strings if necessary.
2) Blanch, peel and chop the fresh tomatoes or drain and chop canned tomatoes.
3) Peel the onion and chop.
4) Peel the garlic and crush it.
5) In a saucepan, heat the butter or oil and fry the onion till browned.
6) Add beans, tomatoes, garlic, bouquet garni, oregano or marjoram and seasoning.
7) Cover the pan and simmer over a very low heat for 1 hour.
8) If necessary add a little boiling water during cooking to prevent sticking.
9) Serve hot green beans with boiled potatoes and crusty bread.