Italian Rum Cake
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cold water||3 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (1 envelope)|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||4 , lightly beaten|
|Dark rum||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Orange||1 Large, peeled and separated to segments|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cracked ice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange segments||6 (for garnish)|
|Glace cherries||1 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
|Whipped cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed for garnish)|
1) In a pan, combine cold water with gelatin and mix well.
2) To this, add the hot milk and sugar.
3) Over low heat, cook until the mixture becomes hot. Check if gelatin is dissolved by now. Do not boil the mix.
4) To this, gradually add the egg yolks, stirring after each addition.
5) Then, add rum.
6) In a bowl of cracked ice, keep this pan to cool. Stir continuously until the mixture begins to set.
7) Finally, mix in the orange segments and heavy cream into the cooled topping.
8) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
9) In a bowl, beat the eggs until light.
10) To this, gradually add the sugar and beat until thick and pale in color. You can do this with an electric beater, beating at a high speed for 6 minutes.
11) To the beaten batter add the water and vanilla.
12) Into a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
13) To the batter, mix in the sifted dry mixture.
14) In a greased and floured 9-inch spring form pan, pour the batter.
15) Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until done.
16) Let the cake cool in the pan.
17) Over the cooled cake, pour the prepared topping.
18) Keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
19) To serve, remove the chilled cake from the pan, and serve, garnished with orange segments, glace cherries and rosettes of whipped cream.
Calories 355 Calories from Fat 130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.5%
Saturated Fat 8.4 g42%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 159.5 mg53.2%
Sodium 117.4 mg4.9%
Total Carbohydrates 48 g16%
Dietary Fiber 0.68 g2.7%
Sugars 37.5 g
Protein 6 g12.5%
Vitamin A 10.1% Vitamin C 12.7%
Calcium 14.6% Iron 5.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet