Polenta with Mushroom Cream Sauce
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Instant polenta||2 1⁄4 Ounce, uncooked|
|Margarine||2 Teaspoon, divided|
|Whipped butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms/White mushrooms||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped shallot/Onion||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|2% low fat milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned ready to serve chicken broth||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Teaspoon|
1) To a 7-inch nonstick pie plate, spray cooking spray.
2) In a 1 1/2-quart saucepan, add water and salt. Over high heat, heat the mixture till it comes to a boil. Keep stirring with a wooden spoon.
3) Drop the polenta quickly into the boiling water. Add in 1 teaspoon of margarine.
4) Turn down the flame to medium high and continue cooking while stirring for 4 more minutes. When all the water has disappeared, transfer the polenta into the greased pie plate. Keep aside.
5) In a 1-quart saucepan, add margarine and butter. Saute the onions and mushrooms over medium flame for about 3 minutes.
6) When the mushrooms turn soft, add in the flour and stir continuously for a minute. Whisk in the milk and chicken broth slowly over high flame. In about a minute the mixture will thicken and start to boil.
7) Season the mixture with pepper. Mix well and pour the mushroom mixture over the polenta. Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top.
8) Broil the polenta for about a minute, until the cheese starts to bubble and turns golden brown.
9) Serve the Polenta with Mushroom Cream Sauce, garnished with chopped parsley.
Calories 147 Calories from Fat 61
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.8%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g14%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 12.3 mg4.1%
Sodium 218 mg9.1%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.5%
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 4 g7.8%
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 0.28%
Calcium 7.1% Iron 4.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet