Italian Clam Soup
|Bottled clam juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Canned italian tomatoes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), drained, finely chopped|
|Dry white table wine||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Thyme leaves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Oregano leaves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Basil leaves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Dash|
|Cooked shell macaroni||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (hot, small shells)|
1) Combine together the clam juice, clams and ¼ cup water in a 2-quart microwavable casserole.
2) Cover the casserole with vented plastic wrap
3) Microwave the casserole on HIGH (100%) for 3 minutes, till the clam shells have opened.
4) Set aside and allow to cool.
5) In a different 2-quart microwavable casserole, combine together 1 ¼ cup water, wine, parsley, tomatoes, oil, thyme, oregano, basil and pepper flakes.
6) Microwave the casserole on HIGH, uncovered, for 1 minute.
7) Take the clams out of the shells and reserve the cooking liquid. Discard the shells.
8) Chop the clams and then add them to the tomato mixture.
9) With cheesecloth, line a sieve and pour the reserve cooking liquid through it into the tomato mixture. Discard all the solids.
10) Stir well to combine the ingredients together.
11) Microwave once again, uncovered, on HIGH for 4 minutes, till the soup has thoroughly heated.
12) Add the hot macaroni.
13) Serve the soup while it is still hot. Can be served as an appetizer, snack or even part of the main course. Ladle into decorative bowls before serving.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 765 Calories from Fat 114
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.9%
Saturated Fat 0.87 g4.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 238.1 mg79.4%
Sodium 4332.2 mg180.5%
Total Carbohydrates 45 g15%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.4%
Sugars 0.8 g
Protein 102 g204.8%
Vitamin A 45.6% Vitamin C 55%
Calcium 79.4% Iron 313.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet