Sauce From Bologna
|Butter||60 Milliliter (1/4 cup)|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Celery stalk||1 , finely chopped|
|Carrot||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Pancetta/Bacon||2 Ounce, finely chopped (60 gram)|
|Lean ground beef||10 Ounce (300 gram)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry red wine||125 Milliliter (1/2 cup)|
|Dried porcini mushrooms||15 Milliliter, soaked in a little warm water for 1 hour, then chopped (1 tablespoon)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Beef stock/Consomme||125 Milliliter (1/2 cup)|
|Milk||125 Milliliter (1/2 cup)|
|Cream||45 Milliliter (3 tablespoon)|
|Chicken liver||1 , finely chopped|
1) In a large pot, gently saute the onion, celery, carrot, pancetta or bacon and bay leaf in the butter for 8 to 10 minutes.
2) Stir in the ground beef and cook over a medium heat, until golden brown.
3) Sprinkle in the flour, stir and cook for 30 seconds.
4) Stir in the wine, stir and cook over a high heat, until most of the liquid is evaporated.
5) Stir in the porcini mushrooms and the soaking liquid, then taste and season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste.
6) Pour in half the Beef stock or consomme and simmer covered over a low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
7) Stir occasionally and add rest of the beef stock.
8) Pour in the milk after 1 hour and adjust the seasonings.
9) Just before serving, stir in the cream and chicken liver, then cook, uncovered, for the last 1 or 2 minutes.
10) Use the Sauce from Bologna, as required.