Mixed Bean Minestrone Stew
|Mixed dried beans||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Navy, Garbanzo, Kidney)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped onions||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sliced peeled carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), sliced|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Italian seasoning||1 Tablespoon|
|Chili flakes||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Dried rosemary||1 Teaspoon|
|Peeled cubed eggplant/Cabbage, squash / broccoli||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped tomatoes/32 ounce, canned||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Diced idaho potatoes/Baking potatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Purified water/Vegetable stock||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Chopped green beans/Peas||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fresh Or Frozen)|
|Cooked barley/Alphabet pasta||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Freshly cracked pepper||To Taste (For Garnish)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (For Garnish)|
|Pesto||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Garnish)|
1. Take a large pot with 6 cups water. Soak beans in it with baking soda overnight.
2. Add bay leaf and on medium to high heat, boil for 45 minutes or until beans can be pierced easily with a fork.
3. In a large pot, add olive oil. Sweat carrots, celery, onions, and garlic on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir occasionally for extracting vegetable juices as soup base.
4. Add Italian seasoning, rosemary, chili flakes, eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes, other vegetables, if any, and salt. Add stock or water and cook for about 20 minutes.
5. Mix in fresh beans or peas, pasta, and cooked beans and on medium heat, cook for 15 more minutes.
6. Transfer to a large soup bowl. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, fresh cracked pepper, and a dash of pesto. Serve immediately.
Calories 524 Calories from Fat 172
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.9%
Saturated Fat 5.2 g25.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 13.7 mg4.6%
Sodium 1247.8 mg52%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.7%
Dietary Fiber 21.2 g84.9%
Sugars 8.1 g
Protein 22 g44.2%
Vitamin A 157.8% Vitamin C 36.6%
Calcium 33.6% Iron 35.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet