Italian Cheese Pie
|Ricotta cheese/Good quality cottage cheese||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Smoked provolone cheese||5 Ounce, diced|
|Mozzarella cheese||7 Ounce, diced|
|Parmesan cheese||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs), freshly grated|
|Eggs||5 , lightly beaten|
|Prosciutto/Salami||4 Ounce, diced|
|Rich short crust pastry||1|
|Flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 Small, lightly beaten|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
2) To make the pastry, sift the flour onto a pastry board. Make a well in the center.
3) With your fingertips, work in the butter. Add 2 beaten eggs and a pinch of salt.
4) Mix the ingredients into a dough, working quickly with your fingertips.
5) In a floured bowl, put the dough aside, cover and allow it to stand for 30 minutes.
6) To prepare the filling, in a bowl mix the cheeses and add four of the beaten eggs, salami or ham, parsley and a pinch each of pepper and salt.
7) Set the mixture aside.
8) Into 2 pieces, divide the dough. One piece should be slightly larger than the other.
9) Roll out both the pieces into round sheets that are sufficient enough to cover a flan or quiche pan of 12-inches.
10) With a larger sheet of pastry, line the pan. Trim the edges.
11) With the filling, spread the pastry shell and cover with the smaller sheet of pastry.
12) Seal by pressing the edges down firmly.
13) Gather the scraps of the pastry together and roll them into a long strip that resembles a thin cord.
14) Around the edges, press the cord lightly. Use a fork to prick the top of the pie all over.
15) With the remaining beaten egg, prick the top of the pie.
16) Bake the pie in the preheated oven for about 1 hour or till the top is golden brown in color.
17) Serve the pie while it is still warm or allow it to cool for a bit and serve at room temperature. Makes a good appetizer and can be served with a light salad on the side.