Fried Polenta With Gorgonzola
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Instant polenta||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Gorgonzola cheese||1⁄2 Pound (At Room Temperature)|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add the salt. Gradually stir in the polenta and cook, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes. Pour the polenta onto a lightly greased baking sheet and shape it into a square about 1 inch high, smoothing the surface with a wet spatula. Cover the polenta with a dampened kitchen towel and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
2. Cut the cooled polenta into even slices, about 1/4 inch wide. Cut these slices into 2-inch lengths.
3. Take half of the polenta slices and spread each with 1 teaspoon of Gorgonzola. Cover with the remaining polenta slices to make small sandwiches.
4. Beat the eggs with a splash of water. Dip each sandwich into the egg wash and coat evenly with the bread crumbs; set aside. (The can be prepared to this point up to 12 hours ahead. Cover loosely and refrigerate.)
5. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep-fryer to 375° to 400°. One at a time, drop the sandwiches into the hot oil in small batches so they are not touching and fry until golden brown, about 1 minute. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches and serve hot.
Calories 378 Calories from Fat 202
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35%
Saturated Fat 9.8 g49%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 103.8 mg34.6%
Sodium 1158.6 mg48.3%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.3%
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 14 g28.7%
Vitamin A 10.7% Vitamin C
Calcium 24.1% Iron 11%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet