Grinding the coriander seeds:
1. Put a non stick pan on low heat, and put in the coriander seeds, to lightly roast them for 10-20 seconds, till a wonderful aroma emanates from them. Roasting the coriander seeds helps in grinding them.
2. In a pestle and mortar, crush the roasted coriander seeds. The final texture of the crushed coriander should neither be too fine, nor too coarse.
Chopping the garlic:
3. On a chopping board, lay the garlic and apply pressure on it with the flat of a knife blade, to split the skin.
4. Remove the skin of the garlic and cut off the edges.
5. Slice the garlic across its breadth and then lengthwise.
6. In a saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil, on medium high.
7. Add the garlic and then the chopped onions, and fry till the onions turn soft and translucent.
8. Turn the heat down a bit and add the freshly ground coriander seeds ,along with the paprika. Mix well.
9. Add the canned tomatoes to the saucepan and stir well to mix them ,with the onions.
10. Add ½ tsp of ground turmeric,1/2 tsp of ground cumin and 2 tsp tomato paste and mix well.
11. Add salt and pepper to taste.
12. Pour in the chicken stock, mix well and bring the sauce to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, on low heat.
13. Mix the tomato sauce with boiled pasta. Garnish with liberal amounts of parmesan and sprigs of parsley to serve.
A good tomato sauce serves as a good base to a meatball dish, pasta or a pizza! Steve shows you how to make a basic tomato based pasta sauce which is easy! See the video for more, though the audio is absent in this recipe!