Italian Lemon Rice Cake
|Milk||1 3⁄4 Pint|
|Arborio rice/Pudding rice||7 Ounce|
|Vanilla pod||1 , split|
|Butter||2 Teaspoon, melted|
|Cornmeal/Polenta||2 Tablespoon (For Dusting)|
|Lemon rind||1 Large, grated|
|Butter||4 Tablespoon, diced|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Icing sugar||1 Tablespoon (For Dusting)|
|Mascarpone cheese||6 Ounce|
|Whipping cream||2 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2) Grease a 10" cake tin with melted butter. Dust about 2 to 3 tablespoons of polenta or cornmeal over the butter, spread and discard the excess.
3) In a saucepan, boil milk. Add in salt, rice and vanilla pod and let the liquid come to another boil. Reduce the flame and continue cooking for 30 more minutes.
4) In a pan, add the currants, water and rum and let it come to a boil. Keep aside.
5) Take the saucepan containing the rice off the flame and discard the vanilla pod. Mix in lemon rind and butter. Add in the sugar keeping 1 tablespoon aside for later. stir till the sugar has dissolved.
7) Place the saucepan on a container with iced water. Slowly stir in the currants soaked in rum.
8) Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs till light and frothy.
9) To the beaten eggs, slowly add in half the amount of the rice mixture. Beat till well mixed before adding in the remanining rice.
10) Add in the lemon juice at this point and mix well.
11) Pour the mixture into the cake tin. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar evenly over the top.
12) Bake the rice cake for about 40 minutes or until it has risen slightly and is golden brown on top. The cake should be slightly firm to touch.
13) Let the cake cool down before unmoulding.
12) Whip together the mascarpone cheese, rum and cream.
13) Dust the Italian Lemon Rice Cake with icing sugar and serve the cream alongside.