Italian Style Grilled Cheese And Chicken
|Fennel||1 Large, pounded|
|Fennel bulb||1 1⁄2 Pound (1 Fresh Large Sized)|
|Black olive||2 Tablespoon|
|Olive paste||2 Tablespoon (Green Or Black)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Watercress||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Egg bread slice/Challah slice||4|
|Egg bread slices/Challah||4|
|Turkey chicken||4 Ounce, roasted|
|Mozzarella cheese||4 Ounce, thinly sliced|
|Skinless chicken/Skinless turkey||4 Ounce, roasted, sliced or diced|
|Fresh mozzarella cheese||4 Ounce, diced or thinly sliced|
|Sun dried tomatoes||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Caponata/Sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil minced, drained||3 Tablespoon (Eggplant Puree)|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
1. In a vegetable steamer bring some water to a boil.
2. Prepare the fennel by cutting away the feathery fronds and ribs until you are left with just the bulb and trim away any brownish parts.
3. Then cut out and discard the triangular core, cut the fennel lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide strips and rinse in cold water.
4. Place the prepared fennel in the steamer, cover, reduce the heat and cook over simmering water for 2 to 3 minutes to tenderize the fennel a bit such that the texture is softened and the flavor is tamed.
5. In a mixing bowl combine the olive paste and lemon juice.
6. Holding the bunch of watercress by the stems, rinse them under running water.
7. Patting the leaves dry cut them away from the stems optionally keeping the stems for stir-fries.
8. Once the fennel is done, remove from the steamer, pat it dry and toss it with the olive paste, lemon juice and watercress.
9. Toss again and season to taste with salt and pepper.
10. To make 2 sandwiches, layer as follows: bread, chicken, cheese, eggplant puree, then chicken again, cheese and bread.
11. To not let the meat to escape the bread, trim the meat.
12. Using your hands, press down to compress the sandwiches.
13. Brush medium-size skillet with olive oil and heat it over moderate heat.
14. In a shallow dish blend the egg and water together.
15. Dip the sandwiches in the egg to coat both sides and cook on each side until they are golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes per side.
16. Cut each sandwich into 4 triangles.
17. To serve, arrange the fennel salad in the middle of a dinner plate and surround the salad with the sandwich triangles.