Italian Sausage Rice & Cereal Dressing
|Italian sausage||1⁄2 Pound, chopped|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Uncooked)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Natural cereal||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Plain Variety)|
1. Heat a 2-quart Dutch oven or skillet, over moderate heat.
2. Add the sausage meat onion and celery.
3. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, until sausage has lightly browned and onion is soft.
4. Increase heat to moderate and add rice. SautÃ© another few minutes until rice is transparent.
5. Pour in water and add salt.
6. Bring to a boil, stirring often to prevent rice from sticking to the sides.
7. Cover with lid and simmer on low flame for 15 minutes or transfer to the middle level of a warm oven (350 degree F) for 20 minutes.
8. When rice is tender and stock is absorbed, turn off heat.
9. Use a fork to fluff up rice and lightly mix in the cereal.
10. Cover again and let rice stand in its steam for 5 minutes for the flavors to be absorbed.
11. This is a perfect side dish to hamburgers.