Pesto Chicken Meatballs
|Ground chicken/Turkey||1 1⁄4 Pound|
|Prepared pesto/Basil and garlic puree||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dried bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Prepared tomato sauce||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Combine the chicken, pesto, bread crumbs, and egg in a mixing bowl. Using your hands, squeeze the ingredients together until they are evenly mixed, but don't overwork the mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Shape the mixture into small balls, using about a tablespoon per round. If you are having difficulty shaping them, chill the mixture for 10 minutes. When they are all shaped, dredge them in flour and shake off the excess.
3. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs in a single layer and cook them, undisturbed, until one side is deep brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
4. Using a slotted spoon, turn the meatballs and cook, undisturbed again, until the other side is deep brown, about 2 minutes. Loosen the meatballs from the bottom of the skillet with your slotted spoon to make sure they are not sticking.
5. Add the tomato sauce, cover, and simmer over medium heat until they are cooked through, 10 minutes.
Calories 520 Calories from Fat 281
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g48.4%
Saturated Fat 6.6 g33.2%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 174.8 mg58.3%
Sodium 383.4 mg16%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.3%
Sugars 6.8 g
Protein 30 g60.7%
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 26.3%
Calcium 4.7% Iron 19.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet