Chicken And Apple Toss Over Polenta
|Golden raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Balsamic vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Boneless, skinless, chicken breasts/Skinless, boneless chicken tenders / thighs||1 1⁄4 Pound|
|Granny smith apples||3|
|Chicken broth/Water||5 1⁄4 Cup (84 tbs)|
|Dried red pepper flakes||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Instant polenta||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Combine the raisins and vinegar in a bowl and set aside. Finely dice the onion. Cut the chicken into 1/2-inch dice.
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute, stirring now and then, until it is golden and smells wonderful, 3 to 4 minutes. While the onion is cooking, peel the apples and cut them into 1/2-inch cubes.
3. Add the apples to the onion and saute over low heat, stirring so they don't stick, until they begin to turn golden and tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine 5 cups of the broth, the red pepper flakes, bay leaf, and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. In a slow steady stream add the instant polenta to the liquid. Cover, lower the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring every now and then so the bottom doesn't scorch, for 5 minutes.
5. Add the chicken to the apples and onion, and stir for a minute. Add the raisins and vinegar and the remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until the chicken is just cooked through, 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
6. Add another 2 tablespoons butter to the polenta if you wish, and adjust the seasoning. Serve the polenta in the bottom of a deep dish, and spoon the chicken and apples on top.
Calories 591 Calories from Fat 139
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.3%
Saturated Fat 8.5 g42.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 114.5 mg38.2%
Sodium 1005.7 mg41.9%
Total Carbohydrates 75 g24.9%
Dietary Fiber 8.7 g34.8%
Sugars 28.9 g
Protein 39 g78.6%
Vitamin A 10.7% Vitamin C 8.8%
Calcium 4.6% Iron 18.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet