Italian Cream Cake
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||5 , separated|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Angel flake coconut||4 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Cream cheese||8 Ounce, softened (1 Package)|
|For cream cheese icing|
|Oleo stick||1 (At Room Temperature)|
|Confectioners' sugar||1 Pound (1 Package)|
|Pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped or ground|
1) Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2) In a bowl, combine soda and buttermilk. Let stand for a few minutes.
3) In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
4) To this, cream sugar, oleo and shortening.
5) Gradually add egg yolks, beating well after each addition.
6) To this creamy mixture, alternately add buttermilk with flour.
7) Stir in vanilla and then fold in egg whites.
8) Add pecans and coconut, stirring gently.
9) Into 3 greased and floured layer pans (9 inches), pour this batter.
10) Bake for 25 minutes, or until the cake is done to the required consistency.
11) Cool thoroughly.
12) In a bowl, combine cream cheese and oleo and mix well.
13) To this, add vanilla and slowly stir in sugar.
14) Beat till the icing reaches the required consistency for spreading and then add chopped pecans.
15) Frost the cooled cake with the prepared icing and serve as required.