Spicy Eggplant Shrimp Bruschetta
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Spanish onion||1 Medium, peeled and diced|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm), peeled, finely chopped (Plus 2 Cloves Garlic, Peeled And Lightly Crushed)|
|Italian eggplant/Japanese eggplant||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut 1/2 inch cubes|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Tomatoes/Whole tomatoes - 2 cups canned, drained and chopped||2 Pound, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|Kalamata olives||14 , pitted and finely chopped|
|Canned capers||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), drained (In Brine)|
|Snipped fresh basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Peasant boule slice||8 (Round Loaf, 3/4 Inch Thick)|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||1 Teaspoon (For Brushing The Bread)|
|Large shrimp||1 1⁄2 Pound, peeled and deveined|
1. Heat the grill or broiler.
2. In a Dutch oven Heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the onion stirring it often, until it is soft.
3. Add the red pepper flakes and the chopped garlic and saute the garlic until it is fragrant.
4. Then add the eggplant with a dash of salt and saute the eggplant, stirring it constantly, until it begins to soften, approximately 3 minutes.
5. In the Dutch oven, simmer the ingredients adding water for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes stirring the sauce well, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer the sauce, stirring it often, for 15 minutes.
6. Add the olives and capers and simmer the sauce 5 minutes longer, add the basil and set the sauce aside.
7. On each side of the sliced bread, rub with the lightly crushed garlic and brush on both sides with the extra-virgin olive oil.
8. Grill or broil the bread until the slices are golden.
9. Return the sauce to the stove and bring the sauce to a simmer over high heat.
10. Add the shrimp and cook stirring them constantly, until they just turn pink, approximately 2 minutes.
11. Season the shrimp with the salt and pepper.
12. On a plate place 1 or 2 slices of bread, spoon some of the eggplant and shrimp and serve.