|Vegetable oil||2 Teaspoon, divided|
|Chopped onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped green bell pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned italian tomatoes with juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), drain, seed and puree tomatoes, reserving liquid|
|Oregano leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Eggplant||8 Ounce, pared and cut crosswise into 8 rounds about 1/2 inch thick each (1 Tiny)|
|Parmesan cheese||2 Ounce, grated|
|Mozzarella cheese||2 Ounce, shredded|
1) Preheat the oven to 400Â°F.
2) In a 1-quart saucepan, saute the onion and bell pepper in 1 teaspoon oil over a medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
3) Stir in the tomatoes, reserved liquid and seasonings, simmer on a low heat for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture is thickened, keep aside.
4) Brush 1 side of each eggplant slice using 1/2 teaspoon oil and place on non-stick baking sheet with the oiled-side up.
5) Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes until browned.
6) Turn over the slices and brush each with 1/2 the remaining oil and bake for another 10 minutes.
7) On a wax paper sheet, dredge the slices in Parmesan, evenly coating both sides and reserve the remaining cheese.
8) In a shallow 2-quart casserole, spread 1/2 of the tomato mixture and with a single layer of 4 eggplant slices. Repeat the layers and finish with the sauce.
9) Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and top with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
10) Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese is lightly browned.
11) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.
Calories 153 Calories from Fat 83
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.6%
Saturated Fat 4.6 g22.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 20.8 mg6.9%
Sodium 502 mg20.9%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.5%
Sugars 3.8 g
Protein 9 g19%
Vitamin A 7.6% Vitamin C 32.9%
Calcium 25.7% Iron 2.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet