Chilean Pistou With Cilantro Pesto
|Cilantro leaves||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Garlic clove||2 Small, coarsely chopped|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), freshly grated|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Leeks||1 1⁄2 Pound, trimmed (3 Medium, 3 Inches Green Left On)|
|Carrots||4 Medium, peeled|
|Carrots||4 Medium, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Idaho potatoes||1 Pound, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Ripe plum tomatoes||8 , peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice|
|Fresh thyme sprigs||3 Large|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), lightly bruised and peeled|
|Homemade vegetable broth||12 Cup (192 tbs)|
|Penne pasta||4 Ounce, uncooked|
|Zucchini||8 Ounce (3 Pieces, Cut Into 1/2-Inch Pieces)|
|French beans||4 Ounce, stem ends trimmed, halved crosswise (Thin Green Beans)|
|Basil leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn kernels||2 Cup (32 tbs) (About 2 Ears, Preferably Fresh)|
|Broad beans/Other fresh seasonal beans, shelled||3 Pound, shelled and outer skins removed to make 1 pound (Fresh)|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Tablespoon, grated (Or As Required, For Garnish)|
1. In a food processor, put together cilantro, garlic, and Parmesan cheese.
2. Pulse the machine on and off until the mixture is well chopped but not pureed.
3. Pulse the machine to run slowly and drizzle olive oil through the feed tube
4. Pulse until the mixture is well combined and smooth.
5. Cut the white end of leeks forming a 2-inch-deep X.
6. Cut the green end also in X but with 3 inch deep cut.
7. In a large bowl, fill water and add vinegar.
8. Soak leeks in vinegar water for 30 minutes.
9. After leeks are soaked, rinse them well under cold running water.
10. Slice the leeks length-wise in half.
11. Chop them crosswise into 1/2 inch thick.
12. In a large soup pot, put together the leeks, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, thyme, and garlic.
13. Pour vegetable broth to cover up the ingredients.
14. Bring to a boil.
15. Simmer uncovered over medium low heat for 30 minutes.
16. Increase the heat to medium-high.
17. Add pasta, zucchini, French beans, and basil.
18. Again bring the soup to boil.
19. Adjust the heat to simmer gently for about 15 minutes until pasta is just tender.
20. Add corn and broad beans.
21. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the ingredients are just tender.
22. Ladle soup in shallow bowls.
23. Top with scoop of cilantro pesto.
24. Garnish with grated Parmesan.
Calories 1094 Calories from Fat 212
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.5%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4.5 mg1.5%
Sodium 1592.5 mg66.4%
Total Carbohydrates 193 g64.4%
Dietary Fiber 26.8 g107.3%
Sugars 13.7 g
Protein 41 g81.5%
Vitamin A 358.1% Vitamin C 132.4%
Calcium 38.5% Iron 39.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet