|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Pancetta/Other unsmoked bacon||8 Ounce, cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|Carrots||6 Medium, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick|
|Onions||3 Medium, cut into 1/4 inch dice|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Leeks||2 , 3 inches green left on, rinsed well and cut into 1/4 inch dice|
|Green cabbage||1 1⁄2 Pound, cored and cut into 1 inch pieces (1 Small Head)|
|Idaho potato||1 , peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice|
|Green split peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Defatted chicken broth||8 Cup (128 tbs) (Homemade)|
|Chopped flat leaf parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried thyme||2 Teaspoon|
|Dried tarragon||1 Teaspoon|
|Coarsely ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Zucchini||1 1⁄4 Pound, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (4 Medium Size)|
|Swiss chard||12 Ounce, leaves and stems rinsed and cut crosswise into 1 inch thick slices|
|Ripe plum tomatoes||6 , seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces|
|Chopped fresh basil leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a large heavy soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat.
2. Add pancetta and cook for 10 to 12 minutes until some of the fat is released.
3. Then stir in carrots, onions, garlic, and leeks.
4. Cook with occasional stirring over low heat for about 15 minutes until the onions are wilted.
5. Add the cabbage, potato, and split peas into the vegetables; fold to mix.
6. Cook for another 10 minutes.
7. Pour in the chicken broth.
8. Add parsley, thyme, tarragon, salt, and pepper.
9. Bring to a boil.
10. Reduce the heat.
11. Simmer uncovered for ½ an hour.
12. Add the zucchini.
13. Simmer for another 15 minutes
14. Stirring occasionally from the bottom.
15. Add the Swiss chard.
16. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
17. Add in the tomatoes and basil.
18. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
19. Serve piping hot.