|Italian short grain rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomato juice||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Chicken stock/Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Cheese||1⁄2 Pound (Mozzarella Or Bel Paese)|
|Mozzarella cheese/Bel paese cheese||1⁄2 Pound|
|Fresh white bread crumbs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cooked tiny shrimp/Cubed ham||1⁄4 Pound, cubed|
|Cooking oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For frying)|
1) Peel the onion and chop it finely.
2) In a large heavy bottomed pan, melt the butter and cook the onion till it is transparent.
3) Add the rice and continue to sauté in the butter, continuously stirring, till it has just started to color.
4) Pour in the tomato juice and with a lid, cover the pan. Cook the mixture over low heat till the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is just tender enough. Stir frequently and add some chicken stock or water of the tomato juice is absorbed too quickly and the rice is still not completely cooked.
5) Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the grated Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt, freshly ground pepper and some paprika.
6) Lightly beat the eggs and blend then into the risotto mixture.
7) Turn the mixture into a bowl and put it in the fridge so that it can cool down and stiffen.
8) Slice the mozzarella or Bel Paese cheese into cubes measuring about ½-inch each.
9) In the palm of your hand, put a level tablespoon of the cold risotto and press a shrimp or cube of ham and a single cube of cheese in the center. Cover with one more tablespoon full of risotto.
10) Press the risotto and shape the mixture into a ball. Continue to form balls till all the ingredients have been used up. The mixture usually makes about 12 to 14 balls.
11) Roll the balls in the breadcrumbs.
12) In a deep fryer, heat the cooking oil till it hits a temperature of 375 degrees and them fry the rice balls in small batches till they are all golden and crisp. Each batch will take about 4 minutes to cook. Drain each batch on paper towels before frying the next.
13) Serve hot with a mixed green salad tossed in French dressing or a crisp celery salad.