Italian Chicken Bake
|Broiler fryer chicken||9 Pound, cut up (Three 3 Pound Each Pieces)|
|Onion||1 , peeled and sliced|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mushrooms||1 Pound, trimmed, sliced|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fine soft breadcrumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sifted|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Light cream/Table cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dry sherry||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Thin spaghetti||1 Cup (16 tbs), broken (1 Package)|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) In a kettle, combine together the onion, chicken, 1 teaspoon of salt, peppercorns and just enough water to cover. Cook for about 40 minutes or till the meat is tender.
3) Take the chicken out of the broth and allow it to cool for a bit.
4) Strain the broth into a 4-cup measure. Keep aside for future use.
5) From the chicken, pull the skin and remove the bones. Cut the meat into cubes and put it in a large bowl.
6) In a large frying pan, sauté the mushrooms in ¼ cup of margarine or butter. Combine with the chicken cubes.
7) In a large saucepan, melt the remaining margarine or butter. Measure out about ½ cup and mix with the breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Keep aside.
8) Into the remaining butter or margarine in the saucepan, stir the flour, remaining 1 ½ teaspoons of salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook, constantly stirring, till the mixture is bubbly. Add 3 ½ cups of chicken broth and cream and continue to stir and cook till the sauce has thickened and has boiled for about 1 minute. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the sherry.
9) While the sauce is cooking, cook the spaghetti as per the directions on the label. Drain well and spoon it into 2 13x9x2 baking dishes. Over the spaghetti, spoon the chicken mixture and spoon the sauce all over.
10) In the preheated oven, bake for about 30 minutes or till the sauce is bubbly and the crumb topping is toasted. Use bouquets of watercress to garnish, along with sliced mushrooms and pimiento strips, if preferred.
11) Serve as preferred.