Honeyed Polenta Cakes with Fresh Tomato Chutney
|For the polenta cakes|
|Cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|For the tomato relish / chutney|
|Tomatoes||1 Pound, core (washed, cored and coarsely chopped)|
|Apple cider vinegar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Spanish onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), mince|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Small|
|Kosher salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ginger root||1 Teaspoon, mince (peeled and minced)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), mince|
|Chili pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, mince (seeded and minced)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Coriander seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Black mustard seeds||1 Tablespoon|
FOR THE POLENTA CAKES
1. In a saucepan pour the vegetables stock and bring it to a boil.
2. Add the polenta cornmeal to the stock and whisk.
3. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, once done pour the polenta in a shallow pan to cool and firm up.
4. Allow the polenta to cool for 60 minutes before cutting or until ready to pan fry it.
5. After 60 minutes cut the polenta in your desired shape and heat up a pan over medium heat with some olive oil and butter.
6. Once the oil and butter is well incorporated increase the heat to medium high.
7. In a plate place some flour and coat the polenta in the flour and lightly shake off the excess flour.
8. Fry the polenta for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
9. Once done drain it on a paper towel.
10. Serve the polenta cakes along with some nice tomato chutney, drizzle some honey on top.
FOR THE TOMATO RELISH / CHUTNEY
1. Wash and core the tomatoes and coarsely chop the tomatoes and keep it aside.
2. Mince the Spanish onion and garlic, peel and mince the ginger root, keep everything aside in separate bowls.
3. In a sauce pot combine tomatoes, onions, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, molasses, cinnamon stick, kosher salt, ginger roots, garlic, vegetable oil and fresh chili pepper
4. In a warm pan over low heat toast the whole spices coriander seeds, cloves and black mustard seed for few minutes.
5. Grind or add whole to the tomato chutney and let it simmer for 30 minutes or until the liquid is completely reduced and you get a paste like consistency.
6. Once done transfer it in a bowl.
7. Serve warm or cool tomato chutney along with polenta cakes.
Calories 234 Calories from Fat 68
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g11.9%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4 mg1.3%
Sodium 363.7 mg15.2%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.2%
Sugars 17.3 g
Protein 4 g7.1%
Vitamin A 10.5% Vitamin C 16.4%
Calcium 4.2% Iron 9.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet