Caponata On Bruschetta
|Eggplant||1 Medium, sliced 1/2 inch thick|
|Yellow onion||1 Medium|
|Celery stalks||2 Small|
|Red bell pepper||1 Small, seeded and deribbed|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Pine nuts||2 Tablespoon|
|Tomatoes||3 Medium, seeded, chopped and excess juices squeezed out|
|Brine cured black olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), drained, pitted and coarsely chopped|
|Fresh basil leaves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped (Loosely Packed)|
|Capers||3 Tablespoon, drained|
|Raisins||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Baguette slice/Italian bread slices||8 (Each Approximately 1 Inch Thick)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon (Approximately)|
1) To prepare caponata put eggplant slices on paper towels.
2) Rub salt and keep aside for 15 minutes.
3) Pat dry to ask excess moisture.
4) With a knife chop eggplant, onion, celery and bell pepper into approximately 1/2-inch pieces.
5) In a heavy sauté pan warm oil over medium heat.
6) Sauté vegetables for approximately 10 minutes.
7) Stir in vinegar, sugar and garlic. Simmer for 5 minutes.
8) In a small, heavy sauté pan toss the pine nuts over medium heat till light brown.
9) Keep aside to cool for sometime.
10) Put vegetables to a medium bowl and cool in room temperature.
11) Add tomatoes, pine nuts, olives, basil, capers and raisins. Mix thoroughly.
12) Transfer content in a portable tight lid container and pack in a picnic basket.
13) Cover in a plastic wrap or place in plastic bag.
14) In a small leak proof portable container mix olive oil and garlic.
15) In the picnic basket pack everything along with basting brush.
16) Before serving prepare a charcoal fire and let coals burn down.
17) Baste each bread slice with the garlic oil.
18) Grill on both sides turning once.
19) Mound some caponata on each slice on top.
Calories 309 Calories from Fat 153
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 457.5 mg19.1%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.5%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 9.1 g
Protein 5 g9.5%
Vitamin A 19% Vitamin C 47.1%
Calcium 3.9% Iron 3.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet