Tuscan Red Bean Soup
|Dried red kidney beans||2 Cup (32 tbs), washed and picked over|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Leeks/Small onions||2 , cleaned and coarsely chopped|
|Celery stalks||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Carrots||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Vegetable stock||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Dried oregano||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dried basil||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Shredded cabbage||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green beans||4 Ounce, cut across into 1-inch pieces|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a large saucepan, place the kidney beans and completely cover with water.
2. Put the pan on heat and bring it to a boil. Boil for about 2 minutes, and then remove the pan from the heat.
3. Allow the beans to soak for at least 1 hour or preferably, overnight.
4. After soaking, drain the beans and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Drain them again.
5. In a saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
6. Add the leeks, celery, and carrots to the oil.
7. Saute the vegetables for about 5 minutes, until they are softened but not browned.
8. Add the stock, tomatoes, herbs, and soaked beans to the pan.
9. Bring the mixture to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.
10. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup for about 45 minutes, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until the beans and vegetables are softened.
11. Now, add the cabbage and green beans.
12. Simmer the mixture about 10 minutes longer.
13. Season the soup with the salt and pepper.
14. Serve in soup bowls sprinkled with the grated Parmesan cheese.