Italian Wine Cake
|Cooked seedless raisins||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa||4 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 Sticks)|
|Shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Burgundy||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Chopped nuts||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Put 2 scant cups raisins into a medium saucepan; cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat; drain well. Measure after draining. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 3 (9-by-5-by-3-inch) loaf pans.
3. Sift together flour, cocoa, soda and spices onto a sheet of waxed paper. Set aside.
4. In your largest mixing bowl, with a portable electric mixer or wooden spoon, cream butter and shortening together; blend in sugar gradually, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. With the mixer at low speed, stir in flour mixture (in fourths) alternately with wine (in thirds), beginning and ending with flour, until mixture is smooth and well blended.
6. Stir in raisins and chopped nuts.
7. Divide batter into prepared pans. Bake 50 minutes or until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip. Do not overbake.
8. Cool in pans about 10 minutes. Turn out on wire racks to cool completely. Frost with powdered sugar if desired.