Pasta E Fagioli
|Dry navy beans/Cranberry beans||10 Ounce, sorted and rinsed (1 1/4 Cup)|
|Cold water||3 3⁄4 Cup (60 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), divided (2/3 Cup Plus 3 Tablespoons)|
|Whole garlic cloves||3 , peeled|
|Carrots||3 , diced|
|Celery ribs||2 , sliced|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Dried oregano leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried basil leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Tomatoes||7 , peeled, coarsely chopped|
|Shell shaped pasta||8 Ounce|
1) In a Dutch oven, soak the beans in cold water for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
2) Add salt, 2/3 cup oil, bay leaf and whole garlic cloves to soaked beans.
3) Place over medium heat and simmer gently until beans are tender for 2 to 3 hours,
4) Drain excess water by reserving 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid. Remove and discard bay leaf and garlic.
5) In a large skillet, heat up remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Add carrots, celery and onion to cook until soft. Add crushed garlic and seasonings; simmer 30 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook 10 minutes.
6) Add pasta in boiling water to cook until just tender; drain water.
7) Use a bowl to combine, vegetables, pasta and reserved cooking liquid. Cover; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8) Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.