Brandied Coconut Crusted Cookies
|Cream of tartar||1 Pinch|
|Castor sugar||5 1⁄2 Ounce (160 Gram)|
|Ground almonds||4 Ounce (125 Grams)|
|Custard powder||3⁄4 Ounce (20 Gram)|
|Almond essence||4 Drop|
|Butter cream mousse flavored with coffee/Rum||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Desiccated coconut||1 1⁄2 Ounce, toasted (40 Grams, For Finishing)|
|Cooking chocolate||2 Ounce (For Finishing, Plain Ones)|
1. Preheat an oven to 350°F or Gas 4
2. Grease a baking tray with oil or butter or line it with butter paper.
3. In a clean grease free glass bowl, combine the egg whites with cream of tartar.
4. Using an electric beater beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
5. Add 4oz sugar to the egg white and continue whisking until firm.
6. Add the ground almonds, remaining sugar, custard powder and essence to the egg whites.
7. Using a plastic spatula, gently fold in all the ingredients into the egg. Do not over beat.
8. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a 1/2inch plain nozzle.
9. Pipe the cakes in small mounds on the baking trays.
10. Bake the cakes on the middle level of the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until they are lightly browned.
11. Remove the cakes from the oven and cool sufficiently on a wire rack.
12. Melt the chocolate in a large bowl, over a double boiler or in the microwave.
13. Sandwich the cookies with butter cream flavored with rum or brandy if desired.
14. Roll them in the coconut and dribble the melted chocolate over them
15. Serve as a tea time snack or at a party.
Calories 387 Calories from Fat 155
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g28.1%
Saturated Fat 10.7 g53.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 54.2 mg2.3%
Total Carbohydrates 53 g17.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g18.2%
Sugars 40.1 g
Protein 7 g13.1%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 0.27%
Calcium 1.9% Iron 15.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet