Country Italian Stew
|Beef cubes||1⁄2 Pound|
|Canned whole tomatoes||14 1⁄2 Ounce, undrained (1 Can)|
|Mushroom soup mix||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Lipton)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, cut in to chunks|
|Stalk celery||1 Large, cut into pieces|
|Carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Green beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Canned chickpeas/Garbanzo||20 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
|Zucchini||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Elbow macaroni||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), uncooked|
1. In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, heat the oil over a medium flame.
2. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the beef cubes and sauté till well browned on all sides.
3. To the beef, add the tomatoes, soup mix, water and oregano. Stir to blend well.
4. Reduce the flame and simmer the soup for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Further add diced onion, celery pieces, carrot and bean slices.
6. Continue simmering for another 30 minutes, stirring often until the vegetables are almost cooked.
7. Finally add the garbanzos, sliced zucchini and macaroni and simmer for 15 minutes till macaroni is cooked and vegetables are tender. Check meat for doneness as well.
8. Taste the soup for seasoning and adjust to your liking.
9. Dish the soup into a large tureen or ladle into individual deep dish soup plates.
10. Garnish the soup with grated Parmesan cheese if you like.
11. Serve the soup with ciabata or crusty bread if desired.