Autumn Vegetable Soup With Hazelnut Pesto
|Parmesan cheese||3 Ounce (About 1 Cup)|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm)|
|Hazelnuts||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Fresh flat leaf parsley||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon (Use As Needed)|
|Onions||3 , finely chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Chicken stock||3 Quart|
|Great northern beans||1⁄2 Pound, soaked overnight in water to cover (2 1/4 Cups)|
|Carrots||4 , peeled and diced|
|Red bell pepper||1 , seeded and chopped|
|Green bell peppers||3 , seeded and chopped|
|Tomatoes||2 Large, peeled, seeded, and chopped|
|Turnips||4 , peeled and diced|
|Winter squash||1 Small, peeled, seeded, and diced (Such As Buttercup)|
|Yellow zucchini||2 , diced|
|Green zucchini||2 Small, diced|
|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, sliced|
|Green cabbage head||1⁄4 , shredded|
1. Cut cheese as chunks of ½ inch each. Pass cheese, few pieces at a time, though a food processor with steel blade, adding hazelnuts and garlic cloves in between and process to finely ground cheese. Add olive while processing to form a smooth paste. Season pesto with pepper.
2. Take a enameled cast iron large Dutch oven, place on medium heat, add olive oil sufficient to cover the bottom of the pan. Sauté, stirring continuously, onions, garlic, thyme and bay leaves, for about 5 minutes to allow onions to become translucent.
3. Add chicken stock, bean with soaking liquid and carrots. Allow the mixture to come to boil, lower the heat to minimum and keep simmering to allow beans to become soft.
4. Add tomatoes, bell peppers, winter squash and turnips and simmer till squash becomes tender. Stir in mushrooms and green and yellow zucchini and continue to simmer for few more minutes. Add cabbage and cook to wilt cabbage.
5. Remove the bay leaves, pour into soup bowls in equal amounts and add 1 tsp pesto on to the top. Serve immediately.