Grandma Valentino's Sweet Pie
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sweet butter||8 Tablespoon|
|Fresh ricotta cheese||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Citron||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Cooked grain||1 Cup (16 tbs) (grana cotto)|
|Grated lemon peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Zest of orange||1|
|Cinnamon oil||1 Pinch (or 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon)|
|Cinnamon powder||To Taste (to sprinkle on top of pie)|
|For egg wash|
1. In a medium bowl, place 2 cups flour and add sugar ,baking powder and salt. Mix well.
2. Using a pastry blender cut in the butter.
3. Add egg and stir to form dough. Divide dough into 2 balls then chill.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
5. In a large bowl, combine ricotta, sugar, salt, eggs, citron, and vanilla. Mix well.
6. Add cooked grain, lemon peel, orange rind, and cinnamon. Mix well and set aside for about 30 minutes.
7. Roll out the bottom dough and fit into the deep dish pie plate.
8. Pour the filling to the top.
9. Roll out the other dough ball and cut into ½ inch strips to form the lattice top.
10. Sprinkle with cinnamon and brush with an egg wash.
11. Pop in oven and bake for just about an hour. The middle should be slightly set.
12. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.