Cornish Game Hens Sardinian Style
|Cornish game hens||2|
|Onions||2 , chopped|
|Ground pepper||To Taste|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm)|
|Tomatoes||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Black olives||2 Tablespoon|
1. Rub salt over and inside the cavities of the hens.
2. In a large casserole or skillet with a lid, heat the oil.
3. Place the hens, breast side down and brown for 2 minutes then turn and brown on the other side.
4. Remove the hens onto a plate.
5. In the same pan, add the onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until they are soft and lightly browned.
6. Add the tomatoes, anchovies, pepper and water and stir to blend well.
7. Bring the sauce to a boil.
8. Return the hens to the sauce.
9. Cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
10. When the tomatoes are cooked, pour in the wine and scatter the thyme and capers. Continue to cook covered, for 5 more minutes.
11. When the tomatoes are cooked, pour in the wine, sprinkle thyme and stir in capers. Continue to cook covered, for 5 more minutes.
12. Finally scatter the olives and cooked uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
13. Arrange the hens on a warm service platter
14. Ladle the sauce over them.
15. Garnish with chopped parsley.
16. Serve with roasted vegetables or a tossed green salad. Accompany with your favorite white wine.