Eggplant Rollatini By Rosalie Fiorino Harpole
|Eggplant||1 Large, slice (4-8 inch)|
|Salt||1 Tablespoon (Curing and salt is washed away)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Marinara sauce||2 Cup (32 tbs), divided (or more if needed)|
|For the breading|
|Breadcrumb italian style||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Progresso Italian Style bread crumbs)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), mince|
|Fresh curly parsley||2 Tablespoon, chop|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|For the filling|
|Ricotta cheese||15 Ounce|
|Mozzarella cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh curly parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chop|
|For the topping|
|Cooked vermicelli pasta||1⁄2 Pound|
|Mozzarella cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded|
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut stem and end from eggplant. Peel the eggplant partially in strips, leaving some of the peel intact.
3. Using a meat slicer or mandolin, slice eggplant into thin lengthwise slices, about 1/8-inches thick.
4. Let the eggplant slices soak in cool salt water for about 20 minutes.
5. Place the bread crumbs, cheese, garlic, and parsley in a shallow plate. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Beat the eggs until fluffy.
7. Prepare the filling by combining the ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, parsley and egg in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
8. Rinse the eggplant in cool water and drain, pat them dry.
9. Heat up a skillet with olive oil over medium heat.
10. Dip each slice in the beaten eggs and then in the bread crumbs on both sides.
11. Fry the eggplant about 2-3 minutes on each side until golden.
12. Drain slices on paper towels and keep it aside.
13. When all eggplant slices have been fried and drained, place on a large cookie sheet.
14. Place 2 tablespoons ricotta filling on each slice and spread gently. Starting from short end of the slice, roll the eggplant. Continue until all eggplants are finished.
15. In the baking dish put 1 cup of marinara sauce to cover the bottom, place each roll, seam-side down in baking dish.
16. Once done pour additional 1 to 2 cups marinara sauce over rolls.
17. Top with Parmesan cheese and shredded mozzarella.
18. Cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake 25 to 30 minutes.
19. Serve the Eggplant Rollatini with vermicelli pasta