In this amazing wild mushroom sauce dish, the Ricotta and spinach dumplings are bathed in a wild mushroom sauce. This sauce is excellent over most grilled meats, including veal or beef medallions. A standard mushroom sauce can be prepared by substituting all wild mushrooms for the typical grocery store variety.
Ingredients for dumplings:
Fresh ricotta cheese
1 Cup (16 tbs)
Frozen chopped spinach
1 Pound (squeezed dry)
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)
To Taste, grated
10 Tablespoon (3 tbsp for coating)
Ingredients for sauce:
1 Cup (16 tbs), reconstituted (Your choice)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
Method for dumplings:
1) First have salted water boiling while you make the dumplings.
2) Mix the ricotta,spinach,cheese,eggs,nutmeg and flour together. Stir and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
3) Form teaspoons of mixture into short puffy cylinders. Using floured hands, rolling dumplings into the flour to coat.
4) Place the dumplings on a parchment lined baking sheet. Refrigerate while you make the sauce.
Method for sauce:
5) Caramelize the shallots in the butter and olive oil and add in the reconstituted mushrooms.Cook for 1-2 minutes,adding a little of the water from the reconstituted mushrooms.
6) Add the chicken stock and the heavy cream and reduce down until the sauce thickens. Keep the sauce warm while you boil the dumplings
7) Boil the dumplings for approximately 3-4 minutes,until they float to the top.
8) Plate the dumplings and serve warm with the sauce and enjoy!