Penne With Eggplant, Mozzarella And San Marzano Tomatoes
|Globe eggplant||1 , cubed|
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), thinly sliced|
|Crushed red pepper||To Taste|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Basil leaves||6 , chiffonade|
|San marzano tomatoes||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (Canned tomatoes)|
|Fresh mozzarella||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grated parmigiano reggiano||To Taste|
|Cooked penne rigate||1 Pound|
1) Start by caramelizing your onion in a saute pan with extra virgin olive oil.
2) Then add the eggplant and caramelize that also until the eggplant is soft.
3) Saute the garlic, but do not brown.
4) Add your San Marzano tomatoes, crushing them with your hands or the back of a spoon.
5) Season with salt and pepper and your desired amount of crushed red pepper.
6) Continue to cook the sauce until the tomatoes cook down slightly, stirring often. Cook the sauce for about 10 minutes then add the basil.
7) Add the pasta and take the pan off the heat and throw in the cubed mozzarella and mix together
8)Serve with grated cheese on top and enjoy!
Calories 367 Calories from Fat 64
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.8%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g11.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 13 mg4.3%
Sodium 315.2 mg13.1%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.7%
Dietary Fiber 8.8 g35.3%
Sugars 7.6 g
Protein 17 g34.3%
Vitamin A 47.7% Vitamin C 34.5%
Calcium 17.4% Iron 8.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet